Monday, April 11, 2005

Captain's Log - Follow Me

Echoing across the years and resounding in God’s word is Jesus calling, “Come, follow me!" It was Jesus himself who said, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me” (Luke 9:23). And again Jesus affirmed, “…anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple” (Luke 14:27).

A good indication of an individual’s devotion to Jesus is the level to which they imitate his lifestyle. It was Jesus himself who said, “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me” (John 10:27). And again Jesus said, “Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me” (John 12:26).

I would encourage each of you to imitate Jesus’ lifestyle. Look at the areas of Jesus life and follow him! Let us consider five ways in which we could follow him.

Jesus Prayed often. Jesus prayed alone and with others. Jesus prayed for long periods of time. Luke 6:12 says, “One of those days Jesus went out to a mountainside to pray, and spent the night praying to God.” We need to follow Jesus in prayer. That is why 1 Thessalonians 5:17 commands, “pray continually” You can answer the call of Jesus by praying each day.
If you are not praying, you are not following Jesus.

Jesus read God’s word. He memorized it and could quote it. Luke 4:16 says of Jesus, “He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. And he stood up to read.” You can answer the call of Jesus to follow him by reading God’s word.
If you don’t read and memorize God’s word you are not following Jesus.

Jesus went to Public worship every week. As Luke 4:16 confirms, going to public worship each week was Jesus “custom.” That is why Hebrews 10:25 commands, “Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another— and all the more as you see the Day approaching.” You can answer the call of Jesus to follow him by going to church each Sunday.
If you forsake the gathering each week you are not following Jesus.

Jesus was a servant to others. He healed people, fed people, taught people and comforted people. Jesus said, in John 13:15 after he washed the disciples feet, “I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.” You can answer the call of Jesus to follow him by serving others and doing random acts of kindness.
If you neglect to serve “the least of these” then you are not following Jesus.

Jesus also worked one on one with a few close friends. He had the twelve disciples whom he taught to pray, to teach, to serve, and to obey. These twelve in turn went and trained others who did the same. This changed the world. This is Jesus model of leadership. You can answer the call of Jesus to follow him by taking someone and teaching them to follow Jesus so that they can go and do the same for others.
If you are not helping anyone else in growing in his or her Christian walk, you are not following Jesus.

1 John 2:6 confirms, “Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.”