Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Hitchhikers Guide To Eternity


A Guide To Avoid Sin
Everyone has a sense of right and wrong. We vary in what we believe but we instinctively have an intuitive sense that there is right and wrong, good and bad, falsehood and truth. If we didn’t we wouldn’t argue and debate about what we believe. What is our foundation for saying, “this is right” or “that is wrong?” As we hitchhike through life, we need a guide.

There has to be a standard. There has to be a foundation or there is nothing to build the philosophical structure of morality upon. How can we know good from bad and right from wrong? How can we know sin from righteousness, filth from purity? Psalms 119:9 says, “How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word.” The Word of God is the only reliable source for someone to gain the knowledge to know what is right. It is our guide to eternal life.

Psalms 119:105 says, “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.” The way is dark and unknown to us with our finite minds and limited knowledge. We need a guide to navigate the murky waters of morality in a world that is pulling us in many different tantalizing, confusing, scary and complicated directions. There is a way to know what is right. Psalms 119:133 says, “Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me.” When we direct our life according to God’s Word, sin can no longer rule over us. We are freed from sins snare and walk in the liberation of God’s grace. Not only can the Word of God produce a faith in us that forgives us of our sin, but it can teach us to walk in a newness of life. Psalms 119:11 says, “I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” The word will not only save you from sin, but will also guide you to live in ever increasing righteousness.

A Guide To Be Obeyed
Many today want to claim the name of Christ and the blessing of Christ without obeying Christ. It doesn’t happen. Psalms 119:17 says, “Do good to your servant, and I will live; I will obey your word.” If God does good to us and saves us, shall we not then live for him? Those who have been called out of sin’s curse have been called out of sin’s practices. We are called to obey God’s Word.

Psalms 119:67 says, “Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I obey your word.” God had brought hardship into David’s life, so he could see the results of sin. This affliction causes him to repent. Now rather than go astray; he says he obeys God’s Word. We can let affliction harden our heart to continue in sin until it destroys us, or we can allow affliction to train us to be more obedient. Psalms 119:101 says, “I have kept my feet from every evil path so that I might obey your word.” Keeping yourself from the evil path is the reason for obedience to the Word of God. No other guide provides this direction when obeyed.

A Guide To Be Trusted
We need a moral compass that is trust worthy and does not shift on the sinking sands of popular opinion or political correctness. Psalms 119:89 says, “Your word, O LORD, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens.” Praise God, his commands are trustworthy and unchanging. They are the epitome of morality, justice, mercy, and righteousness. They are always true. Psalms 119:172 says, “May my tongue sing of your word, for all your commands are righteous.”

Because the Word of God is trustworthy and completely pure, we should pay close attention to its teachings. Psalms 119:16 says, “I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.” Too many neglect the study, understanding, and obedience to God’s Word. They don’t know it. They don’t study it. They don’t live it. They don’t honor it and they don’t share it. Too many live in fear of the stigma of being a radical Christian nut or a “Bible thumper.” Some don’t share their faith, because they have never taken the time to learn to defend their beliefs from scripture’s pages. Many a skeptic will walk into our life mocking our faith but Psalms 119:42 says, “then I will answer the one who taunts me, for I trust in your word.” Is the Word of God the guide you have put your trust in?

A Guide To Put Your Hope In
Because the Word is a guide to our lives that saves us from sin, teaches obedience, and is totally trustworthy, we must put our hope in its promises. If you were marooned on a desert island without your Bible, would you miss it? Does it minister to you and provide you with hope for daily living? Psalms 119:43 says, "Do not snatch the word of truth from my mouth, for I have put my hope in your laws.” Is the Word of God a source of hope and inspiration in your daily walk?

Is Bible reading a habit for you like eating and bathing? Psalms 119:147 says, “I rise before dawn and cry for help; I have put my hope in your word.” People, who put their hope in the Word of God, rise early to meditate on its message and pray to its author. They realize that the Word of God is a daily device of spiritual protection from the temptations and tricks of Satan and his forces of evil in the spiritual realm. Psalms 119:114 says, “You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word.” What shields you each day? What illuminates your path each morning? What directs your footsteps? What keeps you from evil paths?

Is spending time with God in His Word a desire of your heart? Psalms 119:81 says, “My soul faints with longing for your salvation, but I have put my hope in your word.” A person, who puts their hope in another human, thinks only of how to please that other human. A person, who puts their hope in wealth, thinks only about how to gain more money. A person, who puts their hope in their intelligence, thinks only of their education. A person, who puts their hope in their beauty or talents, thinks only of themself in their vain pursuit of security. But the person, who puts their hope in God, thinks only of His Word and its promises. The best part of all is that anyone can choose to put their hope in God’s trustworthy Word. Even a sinner, like me, can be saved. Psalms 119:74 says, “May those who fear you rejoice when they see me, for I have put my hope in your word.” The Word of God is the hitchhikers guide to eternity.


Submit Your Bible Question To: scripturist@hotmail.com