Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Why don't you want to be called pastor? (Part 2)

Question: I have noticed that you do not refer to yourself as “Pastor.” Why don’t you call yourself “Pastor”? Isn’t that your job as the preacher at your church?

Answer part 2: Yesterday, I gave the first reason why I do not call myself “Pastor.” The reason was that in the Bible, “pastors” in the church were always the elders of the church, not the preachers. I explained that my role was the same as Timothy’s in the Bible, one of evangelist, which means “preacher of the good news.” Therefore, according to the Bible’s definition, I am not a “Pastor.” "(see yesterday's post for more info.)

http://scripturist.org/2005/05/why-dont-you-want-to-be-called-pastor.html

Though it is my role and the Biblical term used for my job, I still don’t ask people to call me “Preacher.” This brings me to the second reason I don’t call myself “Pastor.” Titles of distinction can be a source of pride. To ask you to refer to me as “Pastor” or even “Preacher” goes against the tenor of scripture. When people call me “Preacher” or “Pastor”, I don’t get mad or offended. I will usually just act like they said my name. Many do it out of tradition, but I prefer not to be called by titles. The reason I don’t ask people to call me by my job title is that Jesus warned of hypocritical religious leaders who, out of a motive of pride, liked to be called by titles.

Jesus taught in Matthew 23:5-11, "Everything they do is done for men to see: They make their phylacteries wide and the tassels on their garments long; they love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues; they love to be greeted in the marketplaces and to have men call them ‘Rabbi.’ 'But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have only one Master and you are all brothers And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. Nor are you to be called ‘teacher,’ for you have one Teacher, the Christ. The greatest among you will be your servant.”

I choose not to wear a backwards collar or some sort of “priestly outfit” because I don’t want to be like the hypocritical religious leaders who wore special “rabbi clothes” with wide phylacteries to draw attention to themselves. (Not to mention I think those look silly) I sit out with the congregation during our worship service and not up on stage because I don’t want to be seeking the “important seats in the synagogues.” I don’t ask people to call me “Pastor” or any other name because I don’t want to do things to be “seen by men.” I will not demand that people call me “Rabbi”, “Father”, or “Teacher.” I never have understood religious leaders that make you call them “Father” when Jesus explicitly forbid such a prideful indulgence.




If you asked what I did for a living I would tell you that I am a preacher. However, I don’t expect people to call me “Preacher” or any other title. I would rather not be greeted on the street as “Preacher” even though that is what I am. I am just a man. Greet me by my name like you would anyone else. I may have a role of preaching and leadership like Timothy did, but I can’t imagine Timothy making everyone in Ephesus call him, “Preacher.”

1 Peter 2:9 says, “But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.” Peter is teaching us here that every Christian is a priest. Every Christian is holy. We are equal. Ephesians 4:12 shows us every Christian should be equipped for a ministry or service. My ministry may be that of an evangelist but that doesn’t make me better or more important than anyone else. Every part of the body of Christ is equally important. I do not look down my nose at ministers who chose to have people call them by titles. However, I myself can’t follow that tradition in good conscience. Jesus taught me not to.

I do not deserve a special outfit, a special seat at church, or a special title. I am a sinner saved by grace just like every other Christian. I do not want to be elevated up to “clergy” status. I believe a “clergy” and “laity” atmosphere is unbiblical and unhealthy for a church. If anything, I want to be your servant. So, please don’t call me “Pastor” but feel free to email me if you need some prayer or encouragement from God’s word. I love everyone in the Lord and I am here to serve you by preaching the good news.