Friday, July 13, 2007

Psalm 41 : Put Othes First & Trust In God To Take Care Of You

Psalm 41 was written by King David as inspired by the Holy Spirit. Some believe it is merely about David. Others believe it gives us a prophetic foreshaddow at the perspective of Jesus. Notice especially the verses about a close friend who shared bread with him while betraying him.

Psalm 41:1-3 Blessed is he who has regard for the weak; the LORD delivers him in times of trouble. 2 The LORD will protect him and preserve his life; he will bless him in the land and not surrender him to the desire of his foes. 3 The LORD will sustain him on his sickbed and restore him from his bed of illness.

If we put others first and are selfless, God will meet our needs in times of trouble. Satan attacks in many ways. With trouble, trials, sickness and betrayal. He often dumps a bunch of things on us at once. But we can't focus on ourselves. We must focus on God's will which is to help the weak. For if we help others, we will be helped in our time of sickness, weakness, or trouble. If we lose our life for his sake we'll find it. If we give up our life for others he will restore ours. Who are the weak? Is it not the lost souls who are in need of grace and salvation? Our churches should focus on meeting the needs of the weak and then God will meet our needs. Churches should focus on visiting the sick in rather than programs for their own entertainment. If we put the weak first then He will protect us and preserve our life.

Psalm 41:4-8 I said, "O LORD, have mercy on me; heal me, for I have sinned against you." 5 My enemies say of me in malice, "When will he die and his name perish?" 6 Whenever one comes to see me, he speaks falsely, while his heart gathers slander; then he goes out and spreads it abroad. 7 All my enemies whisper together against me; they imagine the worst for me, saying, 8 "A vile disease has beset him; he will never get up from the place where he lies."

David was always seeking God's grace. People regularly betrayed David. His friends, his children, his wife, his brothers, his king, his advisors, and his general. When you do what is right people will seek your down fall. When you do what it wrong you will bring your down fall. David saught deliverance from both. Even if you never sin, and you will, you will need delivered because, Jesus was perfect and He was still attacked. God's mercy is our only hope.

Psalm 41:9-13 Even my close friend, whom I trusted, he who shared my bread, has lifted up his heel against me. 10 But you, O LORD, have mercy on me; raise me up, that I may repay them. 11 I know that you are pleased with me, for my enemy does not triumph over me. 12 In my integrity you uphold me and set me in your presence forever. 13 Praise be to the LORD, the God of Israel, from everlasting to everlasting. Amen and Amen.

A close friends betrayal is the worst. An enemies you can expect, but when your friends betray you the pain is overwhelming.


David wrote in Psalm 55:12-14 "If an enemy were insulting me, I could endure it; if a foe were raising himself against me, I could hide from him. 13 But it is you, a man like myself, my companion, my close friend, 14 with whom I once enjoyed sweet fellowship as we walked with the throng at the house of God. "

Now read the passage below which tells the story of Judas.

John 13:21-26 After he had said this, Jesus was troubled in spirit and testified, "I tell you the truth, one of you is going to betray me." 22His disciples stared at one another, at a loss to know which of them he meant. 23One of them, the disciple whom Jesus loved, was reclining next to him. 24Simon Peter motioned to this disciple and said, "Ask him which one he means." 25 Leaning back against Jesus, he asked him, "Lord, who is it?" 26 Jesus answered, "It is the one to whom I will give this piece of bread when I have dipped it in the dish." Then, dipping the piece of bread, he gave it to Judas Iscariot, son of Simon."

But the promise of God is your enemy will not triumph over you. They did not triumph over David. They did not triumph over Jesus. They did not triumph over the apostles. And your friends who betray you will not triumph over you. Your heart will be comforted, your soul saved, your body restored, your spirit renewed and your tears wiped away.

Send comments to scripturist@hotmail.com