Wednesday, June 20, 2007

LIKE A SPURGEON

"The man who never reads will never be read; he who never quotes will never be quoted. He who will not use the thoughts of other men's brains proves that he has no brains of his own." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon


I want to encourage you to be a reader. I am not the type to read for pleasure. I don't enjoy sitting down with a good mystery, thriller or western. I don’t' like curling up with a good book by the fire. I don't read for entertainment very often. I prefer movies like most people. I have enjoyed reading the Chronicles of Narnia as a child but other than a few books I was required to read in school, I never read much fiction. It's hard to read and eat popcorn at the same time!

But I am a curious person. And I do have a deep love for God and long to understand his will. As the deer pants for water so my soul longs after God. To know him is the apex of human existence. To know his thoughts are to unravel the mystery of human life. Therefore, I study the Scriptures daily to see that which is true. I read commentaries, Christian books, philosophy, history, and daily news. I read and read and read. Not for the mere joy of reading but because of my lust for knowledge.

I love to read maxims, quotes, proverbs and wise sayings. I love books on science, history and apologetics. I love to read biographies of great people and human interest stories to compare this modern world and the lessons it teaches with the wisdom of the ancient scripture. It's fun to see how the wisdom of a book written between 3500 and 2000 years ago still rings true in the mess of this modern world.

King David was a reader. He wrote in Psalm 119: 99-100 "I have more insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on your statutes. I have more understanding than the elders, for I obey your precepts." Read it. Meditate on it. Obey it. When put into practice, scripture will make you wise. Jesus said in Matthew 7:24 "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock."

Proverbs 20:18 says, "Make plans by seeking advice; if you wage war, obtain guidance. " If we are to be wise and accomplish anything lasting we must be readers who seek advice. We must seek advice. We must read and understand from many sources to have the perspective to see truth. Proverbs 24:6 says, "for waging war you need guidance, and for victory many advisers."

How many plans have failed because people rushed in with haste without seeking advice? They fail because they never turned to the authority of God's Word. How many people have listened only to limited advice and lost sight of God's will? Even bad advice can make good advice more clear. Wisdom listens to all sides of matter in order to discover the truth. Proverbs 15:22 says, "Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed."

Stand on the shoulders of others wisdom and you will see father yourself. By standing on a stack of books you will have the knowledge of others to see father than your limited knowledge would allow. But becareful. Listen to all sides. Don't be hasty and miss the way. Listen to many advisers. Read many books. Take the time to sharpen your saw. Take the time and open your mind. Seek wisdom.

Proverbs 15:14 "The discerning heart seeks knowledge"